Hey guys, here again with the second installment of my Projekt: DAK, my work to build up an Early War German Desert Army for Flames of War. As I promised in the first installment, here are the steps from the ground up for my test models. I always do test models, and in this case opt for the DAK Machingun Platoon, which for Germans can be attached out to my Grenadiers/Schutzen to bolster their model count. Since there are going to be a tonne of pics, I will let them do most of the talking, after the jump.
The famed MG-34 HMG, in the desert.
My initial batch of models, 4 MG-34's and some add-ons for Early War for my infantry platoons (Light Mortars, PbZ-41 AT gun). As you can see, I am one of those guys who glues everything on and paints later, so I can get test games in if I don't get everything done.
DAP Dry-Dex dry time indicator spackle. It is pink when wet, dries white. If you can find this stuff, use it!
here. They're a bit big though, so maybe hit up a model train store for some rocks.
When this was dry, I painted watered down white glue on the base around the rocks and models, and dipped into my container of real Saharan sand that my brother got for me when he was down in the Middle East.
Oddly, the sand is so fine that if I use thick paint, it would obscure the detail.. so in 15mm scale technically I shouldn't even have any sand at all!
I will be using this Sahara basing scheme straight from the Battlefront website, and have lined up my colours accordingly in the pic above. Not sure how the Brown Violet is going to work for the rocks though!
Its at this point in time I realize that there is something fishy with my tripods. If you look at the reference pic I took from the WW2 re-enactors at the top of the article, you can see the tripod painted green with the 2 shoulder pad things facing front. I glued all mine BACKWARDS. Had I realized this at any step prior to the spackling I would change it, but its a little late now. Sigh.
I have to say at this stage that I REALLY hope Battlefront updates the painting guides in their books going forward. The ones found in the Hellfire and North Africa books are very simplified, but then you have the super-detailed ones in the Bridge-by-Bridge. PLEASE adopt the detailed ones for all new books guys!
Pics abound of real light colored helmets in the North Africa books, I like the one in the Pio section especially. Skin is also done real fast. Whats great about stopping at this step is that the unit is totally tabletop ready right now. I am one of those painters that can go back and work on models later. I realize some folks can't, however I do because I get distracted by new shinies such as.....
There you have it, a platoon built up from start to tabletop ready. I have my first Early War game lined up vs Rob Kelly's British on Friday, so I am glad I got distracted by my order coming in early to assemble all that stuff. Next installment of Projekt: DAK I will go over the battle and how that all went, and will finish off the HMG platoon from 'TableTop' ready to 'Finished' state, so wash, highlights, all the equipment painted, the works.
UPDATE: Finished the highlighting:
Catch you guys in a few weeks!
Matt Varnish, plays Flames of War up in Canada with the lads from www.dicedevils.com. Surprisingly, I don't even have a Canadian army............ yet!