While I love going to tournaments, hanging out with friends old and new and throwing rounds down range, my real passion is the hobby aspect of the game. I'm one of those sickos for whom there is no better way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon than painting up a platoon of tanks of 10 stands of infantry.
From unit research, to color and weathering techniques, I find the process of finding, building and painting models to completion to be the most fulfilling part of the game. In my search for new techniques and styles, I came across a most excellent pair of books (for which I plan on doing a review at some point) called Tank Art 1 & 2. Not only are these books filled with some of the most gratuitous tank porn you'll find anywhere they're also full of awesome tips and techniques explained in detail.
Having always wanted to try the hairspray technique, when I read about how to do it in the Tank Art books I decided to give it a go.
I have 2 tanks I need to paint up for my mid-war Flames of War list, a captured KV-1e and a Ferdinand (err.. Panzerjager Tiger P? Elefant? Sd. Kfz. 184? something). We'll just call them Kevin and Fred (h/t Hect). So, I decided to give them the royal treatment. Kevin will be painted up in a winter white-wash scheme and Fred will get all scratched up right down to the primer.
They'll end up looking like this:
|Ready for action!|
But how did I get there? Well, follow along dear reader and I'll show you.
|Start with a flat black prime.|
|Base coat in whatever you'll be "scratching" down to. In the case of Fred, it's Vallejo Cavalry Red to represent the rust red primer used by the germans.|
|Ends up looking like this.|
|For the Russian tank I went with a Vallejo US Dark Green, I've never painted a Russian tank before, but the color looked spot on to me.|
|Next up, and this is the critical part: Go out and buy yourself a good high quality hair spray. I didn't know the difference between a good or bad hair spray to save my life so my lady room mate was kind enough to humor me and show me what to get.|
Click on the image below to see a video of how to do this. (Apologies for the blurriness still working out the tech)
|On Fred, we get a bunch of scratches that look like this.|
|On Kevin, we've significantly worn down the white wash.|
|Kevin gets two more goes, first looking like this|
|And then ending up closer to this.|
|Starting to work in some details here and it's really starting to take shape.|
|I do think the rear turned out particularly well.|
The final result in both cases is well worth it:
|For the first time I actually used the Black-ish Magik Mudd Wash by CGR painters to do the pin washing and dirtying up on Kevin and it worked out really great. I'm really impressed with the softness of it and the fact that you don't get "tide lines."|
I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed painting it.
Throckmorton is an avid llama farmer, part time Flames of War player and runs his own hobby blog: Throck Of War. Photos were shot using an HTC One on HDR set to ISO 1600.