editor's note: This is likely the last "Somethin' else" posted here. From now on these game reviews will all appear on http://www.outpostzero.net
The entire game comes in a folder with a set of Stand Rules for the Folio Series; an Exclusive Rulebook for the specific game purchased; a game board map; counters and even a baggie to store'm. I skipped it, but I could have been a bit more careful punching the counters -- probably use a hobby knife to make it super clean.
|Contents provided in a hard card stock folder.|
The rules and unit markers will look familiar to anyone who has played these types of games before. They are written in a very clear and unexciting manner -- something I like very much! It is interesting that mobile units basically get to move before or after an attack - not both. They can even attack after that second movement! I can see where this would be useful to exploit a breakthrough.
|Everything tucked right in and ready for transport.|
There are excellent, easy to read diagrams and explanations throughout the short rule book. A plus here is that the basic system of movement and combat is used for all the games in the Folio series.
|Very easy to read diagrams and examples|
|Very familiar stats on the counters.|
I set the game up, and got to work! Setup was very quick due to the limited units and the very clear instructions. There were some cosmetic map errors, which were clearly pointed out in the first page of the Exclusive Rule book
|The initial setup|
One thing to note here -- this game is pretty easy to get down to basics with. Unlike other games I have played, there are no 'Command Point' or 'Supply' mechanics to slow down game play.
|Israeli initial advance.|
|The odds and results are printed right on the map.|
- VERY clear rules - I was able to get going in about 20 minutes
- The rules are very familiar to people familiar with this type of game
- Learn these rules and you have learned a whole series of games
- At 19.95 USD the value is very good
- Small number of units and pieces to get started quickly
- Nice options of a 3-player version
- This particular scenario is a kind of fighting withdrawal, which may not be that exciting
- The counters were not cut all that well, but this is common on this type of game. Take your time and it is fine.
Conclusion: 8 or 10 DE results.
Talk about this and other games on our forum!
Review copy provided by Will Stroock