5) The Cromwell: Ok, so it’s basically a Sherman – FA 6, AT 10, FP 3+ gun but it is a light tank, so it moves 16” at a time. Cromwells are great at concentrating force and flanking the enemy for side shots. Depending on the list you chose, you can buy it at C/T, C/V, F/V, or (my favorite) R/V. Plus, it has that beautifully ugly British look. Giant rivets! Boxy turret! Like Dalek with treads. Exterminate!
4) The Firefly: By Late War, the Sherman 75 had become a bit of crap. Both the US and the British tried upgrading the main gun. The British 17 pdr armed "Firefly" was the best of these variants. With AT 13, it can kill just about any German tank. On the downside, you can only take them in mixed platoons, and, meh, it's still a Sherman hull.
3) Panther: The Panther was officially classed as a Medium Tank, despite its size. Its front armor renders it largely invulnerable to allied tanks, and its AT 14 main gun will punch through almost any armor. Against many opponents, the Panther isn’t just better, it’s superior. It only ranks as #3 though, because of its high point cost and a number of minor annoyances – weak side armor, merely normal top armor, and lack of Protected Ammo.
2) T-34/85: The upgraded Soviet medium boasts a bit thicker armor (7 FA) and a much heavier gun (AT 12) than its mainstay counterpart. Granted, it suffers from Hen and Chicks, but you can buy it cheaply and in ludicrous quantities. Tank escorts make it even better.
1) Panzer IVH: The Panzer IVH almost perfectly balances cost and effectiveness. At just about every level, it surpasses its Allied counterpart, the Sherman. They have the same FA, but the Panzer IV sports a notably better gun (AT 11). It has shürtzen to protect against bazooka fire, Protected Ammo to remount after being bailed, and best of all, like all German tanks, it can Stormtrooper. Only its SA is inferior to the Sherman. Who cares?
What do you guys think? What tanks were left off the list? How would you order them?
Popular Posts In the last 30 Days
Road to Victory is finally here. After months of play testing and editing we are ready to release it to the BA community. Our ga...
Welcome to another tutorial from the team at the Bolt Action Alliance, this time I, Patchimus, will cover how to paint a Panzer Lehr squa...
With the second edition of Bolt Action out, amidst the new rules, we were also given some new missions along with the old. This is great, as...
Note: Photo Dump at the end of this article If you are new to the Flames of War hobby tournaments may be a bit intimidating if you’ve n...
The Landing Vehicle Tracked (LVT) is a beast and I love it. It is among one of the largest vehicles you will see on the table and is a real ...