Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Model Review: Battlefront's Panzer II F

Model Review: Battlefront's Panzer IIF
by Max

In this review I'll go over the building and painting of Battlefronts Panzer IIF.

This kit is one of Battlefronts older kits in their line. The model represents the “F” version that was produced between March 1941 and February 1942. It was designed as a reconnaissance tank and was the last version build on this chassis. It had a crew of three (commander, gunner, and driver) and mounted a 20mm auto cannon and a co-ax 7.92 MG.

The model is your typical Battlefront kit. Since this is an older kit the cast pieces are long in the tooth. There was a bit of lead over molding and the tracks required some work. However, the detail was still there and after a bit of work I was able to whip it into shape. The biggest problem was a miscast jack on the fender and the one piece storage box on the left rear fender.

After cleaning up some mold lines on the upper fenders and tracks and cleaning out some excess lead between wheels I assembled the kit. There was a slight gap between the resin hull and the rear left track but this was filled in with some putty, left to dry, then lightly sanded. Some of the grates for the rear engine was gone over to bring out the detail. So far I'm happy with the kit.


I decided to paint this model in a 1941 Panzer Gray to go with an Eastern Front look of Ewand MW. I added some stowage to the turret deck and rear hull and gave the model a good scrubbing with some soapy water. (Note: All paint is Vallejo)

After letting the model dry I gave it two light coats of black primer using a brush then dry brushed the model with primer gray. I then gave the model at least two light coats of Vallejo Air Panzer Gray. Once dry, I painted the tracks (Dark Brown), gun barrel and MG (Gunmetal Gray), and muffler (Cavalry Brown). Note the muffle had a metal heat shield over it that, usually, did not rust. Once dry the model was given two brushed coats of Gloss Varnish and set aside to dry.

I applied decals from I-94. I decided to use 4th Panzer Division insignia on the front hull and the number “811” in red with white outline. Decals were set using I-94 setting solution and Micro Set.

Once everything was dry I gave the model a wash of 3:2:1:1 (water, black, Sepia shade, and Umber shade) wash and let it dry. Highlighting (two successive tones of Panzer Gray) and dry brushing using a subtle Panzer Gray.


I wanted to give the model an autumn 1941 Russia look. That meant mud! I started with doing oil and fuel splashes on the rear deck and front tranny cover using a black brown wash. Next, Gunmetal Gray was used on surfaces to represent areas where the crew would be walking on and around the fenders where terrain would chip away at the paint. The tracks were given a wash of 3:1 water to Cavalry Brown to represent rust.

Once all this was set I sealed the model with two coats of Matt Varnish using a brush. The model was then given a good dusting of Vallejo 3:1:1 Green Earth/Light Sienna/Burnt Umber pigments and sealed with Tamiya Paint Thinner. While this was still wet, Burnt Umber pigment was diluted to a “Muddy” consistency and applied to the lower hull mostly to the front and rear lower plates and around the road wheels. A bit more thinned “Mudd” was used to simulate mud splatter on the upper decks of the hull and turret.

Lastly, the commander mini was added from the spare parts box. An antenna will be added later.


Overall the project took about an hour or two (not counting drying time) and was enjoyable. I was not 100% happy with the paint job as I think it came out too dark. This was my first real attempt at painting early war German armor in this scale so either doing a lighter shade of Panzer Gray or more highlighting is required.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

\4 out of 5 Panzerfausts

Popular Posts In the last 30 Days

Copyright 2009-2012 WWPD LLC. Graphics and webdesign by Arran Slee-Smith. Original Template Designed by Magpress.